Outdoor survival skills can mean the difference between escape/rescue and tragedy. Fortunately, most survival skills are simple and easy to learn.
Here are the top ten things to do in a survival situation, in order:
1. Don’t panic. Breathe. Relax.
2. Give yourself first aid if needed.
3. Inventory your survival items.
4. Assess any imminent weather dangers.
5. Find an open area where you can be seen from the air.
6. Create appropriate shelter.
7. Drink lots of water.
8. Make fire, but safely! Learn how to build fire in a variety of ways and how not to start a wilderness blaze in your quest for survival.
9. Signal for help.
10. Eat the wildlife, including insects, but nothing with more than 6 legs and no plants you aren’t totally sure of.
Ten Essential Survival Skills & Qualities:
Survival isn’t just about skills, but also attitude and mindset. Desire to survive, determination, persistence, willingness to plan, and learning survival skills ahead of time all increase your chances of survival.
The best time to learn survival skills is before you need them.
– Will to survive
– Calm, poise, focus
– Make shelter
– Make fire
– Find and purify water
– Find food, hunt, trip
– Signal for help
– Navigate without map or compass
– Basic first-aid
– Weather prediction
The Most Valuable Survival Items:
We could probably debate this list endlessly, but I guarantee you’d much rather have these items with you than need them and not have them.
– First aid kit
– Flint, tinder
– Water purifying tablets
– Whistle, mirror
– Wire saw
– Fishing kit
– Emergency blanket
Once you get into a survival situation, it’s too late to prepare and to learn the skills. Now is the best time to prepare to survive. Get your gear here.